This blog is dedicated to my doggie, Jack

This blog is dedicated to my doggie, Jack
Best Papillon Ever

Saturday, January 26, 2008

More healing music for pets

Music has a multitude of healing properties which have been well documented in people for many years. Now a handful of harpists throughout the country are harnessing that power for pets.
The structure of the harp is considered to be the most healing instrument, second only to the human voice.
Hospitalized dogs at a Florida veterinary clinic enjoyed a variety of hour-long harp sessions which were reported to immediately reduce heart rates and slow breathing. In addition, many of the dogs appeared to be calmer and less stressed.
Cows enjoy music
Dogs aren’t the only animals benefiting from the harp’s good vibrations; cows enjoy the music as well.
Cassie, a black and white cow, lives at the Maple Farm Sanctuary in Mendon, Mass. She arrived there last year after jumping a 7-foot-high fence to escape from a slaughter house.
Even though Cassie is now living the good life, she has suffered from anxiety-related behavioral issues. One morning, for example, her caretaker, Russell walked into the barn to find the 1,500 pound Holstein snorting and stomping. “I was little bit afraid for my safety, I have to say, for the first time,” said Russell. Although not sure what upset Cassie, Russell decided to try calming her by playing a CD of harp songs. Within 20 minutes, Russell said, Cassie dozed off.
Gorillas love the harp At the Franklin Park Zoo in Boston, a gorilla group appreciated a live harp performance a few years ago. The youngest member, named Little Joe, even blew the harpist a kiss before falling asleep. It’s not a magic pill, but for certain animals it works very well.
Certain harp vibrations can be used to resonate with, cellular rhythms, which help to reduce muscle tension, calm anxiety, improve digestion, induce restful sleep, and increase the body’s natural pain killers, called endorphins, which help the body to heal itself.
This holds true for a variety of people and pets.
Pet CD "Harp of Hope," is a collection of 17 songs, which was originally recorded for people but last year an animal edition was released after owners reported it helped their arthritic dogs fall asleep and calmed their agitated cats.
Veterinarian, Dr. Carol Osborne also acknowledges the CD’s success in soothing nervous pets and their owners. Most pets start to relax after listening for a few minutes. Playing the music before and/or during a stressful situation promotes a calm environment for all.
It is interesting to note that every detail of the harp, including the tempos, rhythms, keys, note intervals, chord structures and plucking techniques, are carefully arranged to promote progressive peace and relaxation.
“Music is a low cost calming alternative for people, pets and veterinary offices that’s definitely worth a try,” says Osborne.

1 comment:

Janet Roper said...

As both a professional animal communicator and musician, I have the best job in the world: I get to horse around and fiddle around! And, for me, it simply doesn't get better than to help animals heal using music.

This summer I had the opportunity to work with a fairly young thoroughbred. Even though he'd been off the track for a couple of years and his owner worked with him almost daily, he still tended to be hot and sometimes hard to handle.

He was in his paddock, running, bucking and putting himself into a state of anxiety and a lathered sweat. I was some distance from him when I began playing. When he first heard me he started snorting and pawing, and then began charging the fence. I stopped playing, and he looked confused, as if to say 'what's happening here'?

I began playing again and he looked around, locating the sound. He watched me intently, and when I stopped playing he became agitated, starting to paw and stomp. As soon as I started playing, he calmed down, listened to the music, and then he began 'dancing' as I played.

I played to him for 40 minutes, making the playing sessions longer and the stops shorter. By the time I finished, he was calm and relaxed, and I was standing close enough to him that he could touch my 200 year old violin with his nose.