This blog is dedicated to my doggie, Jack

This blog is dedicated to my doggie, Jack
Best Papillon Ever

Thursday, July 05, 2007

Do Animals Have Rhythm?

In all honesty, I don't know the answer to that but my gut says "some do and some don't!" Brilliant! It seems that I have seen birds such as large parrots and macaws that bob up and down in rhythm with music. I have a feeling that, as huge as the animal kingdom is, there is a wide range with some animals being more overtly rhythmic than others. What comes to mind immediately is circus elephants with circus music blaring and elephants "marching" in a circle around the ring. Whether or not they are actually marching in rhythm is questionable I'd say.

An article in the April 2001 issue of Scientific American reviews a book by primatologist Frans de Waal..."Science, and the tried-and-true scientific method, is supposed to be free of bias. But as de Waal explains in The Ape and the Sushi Master, science, like all human endeavors, is warped by cultural ideology. Nowhere is this more in evidence than in the field of animal behavior and particularly in discussions of whether animals have culture. "We cannot discuss animal culture without seriously reflecting on our own culture and the possible blind spots it creates," de Waal writes.

What do you think?

No comments: